Its porridge week! Everyone knows how healthy and cheap porridge is, and on top of that oats are able to grow even in challenging climates like Scotland, which means us UK residents can get them locally! Since eating porridge for breakfast is not always convenient and it can get boring pretty quickly, I thought I would investigate and share some ways to make it more appealing. I’ll be posting five different ways of enjoying porridge this week. Long live the oat!
Porridge with carrot and ginger
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/2 carrot
- chunk of ginger
- 100ml porridge oats
- 300ml water or milk
- brown sugar and raisins (optional)
- put your oats and water or milk in a pan on medium-low heat (about 3 or 4)
- grate in half a carrot and a thumb sized piece of ginger (you’ll want to use a fine grater for the ginger)
- let the porridge cook slowly for about 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until it has thickened to the appropriate consistency
- add some brown sugar and raisins if thats what you’re into.