Rösti is a Swiss specialty that is usually made out of potatoes and eaten as a side dish with eggs and spinach, in our version we have added zucchini in order to mix things up a little. We love this dish because it is incredibly cheap and easy and is a great way to use seasonal vegetables, like zucchini!
After a day in the library all you really want is some fried potato, right? Instead of grabbing frozen chips or a takeaway, why not try this simple alternative, that will only cost you 30p per serving (as a side)
Serves 2 as a side
Cost: approximately 60p for two servings, excluding flour, salt, pepper and thyme
- 150g zucchini
- 150g potato
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- handful fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
- After washing thoroughly, coarsely grate the zucchini and potato into separate bowls
- Squeeze out as much moisture as you can using you hands or a colander and transfer both into a bigger bowl
- Add 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon flour, a handful of fresh thyme and some salt and pepper and mix together using your hands
- heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a nonstick frying pan, take some of the zucchini-potato mixture in your hands, press it into a ball and then flatten and place in the pan.
- Fry on both sides until cooked through and golden brown